There are many excellent initiatives making a difference, in different ways, to different aspects of the cyber security industries of Australia and New Zealand. Ultimately, we're all trying to make a positive impact on the lives of people in both countries.
Some of our favourites are:
- AWSN, the Australian Women in Security Network. The name says it all, but I believe that there is not another group/initiative in Australia doing as much to beneficially impact the culture in our security industry as AWSN.
- Office of the eSafety Commissioner. This government agency, unique in the world, is committed to helping all Australians have safe, positive experiences online. There are many resources for parents, security awareness specialists, teens, and women on this site. The eSafety Commissioner is a collaborator with NetSafe in NZ.
- AustCyber, supports the development of a vibrant and globally competitive cyber security sector. AustCyber are working on the crucial aspect of commercialisation to ensure Australia's economic future isn't merely left to luck.
- IDcare, From its website, "IDCARE is Australia and New Zealand’s national identity and cyber support service. We are a not-for-profit Australian charity that was formed to address a critical support gap for individuals confronting identity and cyber security concerns. This gap requires specialist Identity & Cyber Security Counsellors and Analysts that apply a human-centred approach to identity and cyber security. This means we place at the centre of everything we do the concerns and needs of the individual, not the technology or process."
- Security, Influence & Trust Group, is an awesome alliance of security awareness professionals from many of Australia's largest organisations. They come together to collaborate on more effective communication with the staff of their own organisations, and the wider community.
- NetSafe. This is New Zealand’s independent, non-profit online safety organisation. Lots of resources here to help keep New Zealanders safe online. NetSafe collaborates with the Australian eSafety Commissioner.
- CERT NZ. From its website, "CERT NZ works to support businesses, organisations and individuals who are affected (or may be affected) by cyber security incidents. We provide trusted and authoritative information and advice, while also collating a profile of the threat landscape in New Zealand."
Below are some key events and gatherings that are of great value to security practitioners.
- BSides gatherings are famous globally for excellent grassroots technical community gatherings. BSides Canberra has blazed the trail in Australia and in 2019 got more than 2,000 attendees. BSides Sydney, BSides Brisbane, & BSides Perth are also gaining momentum. If you're technically inclined, or looking for sponsorship opportunities, these are definitely industry events to get involved in.
- eSafety & NetSafe jointly host an annual conference which alternates between Australia and New Zealand. The dates and locations will be on the eSafety and NetSafe websites.
- AWSN holds regular gatherings in all Australian capital cities.
- SIT Group hosts an annual SIT Summit, which in 2019 incorporated some exceptional workshops. Experts from large Australian organisations shared a stunning amount of experience with rooms full of practitioners.